uilt in 1590 in the historic centre of Naples by Giovan Francesco di Sangro and converted into a family tomb by his son Alessandro in 1613, the Cappella San Severo, still referred to as Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pieta, enshrines numerous masterpieces in the Neapolitan Baroque style. All were commissioned by alchemist Raimondo di Sangro, prince of San Severo, who transformed his chapel into a masonic temple, and, in the crypt, made his infamous 'anatomical machines' encased.
Among the art pieces, two marble sculptures are curiously parallel to the skinless models in the crypt: the Cristo Velato (Veiled Christ) by Giuseppe Sanmartino and Pudicizia (Modesty) by Antonio Corradini, the artist first commissioned for the Veiled Christ who died after having completed only sketches.
The principle is identical for both art pieces: the marble veils, of an exquisite transparency, reveal and shape that which they were supposedly masking. Thus, the tortures of Christ and the pointed nipples of the modest woman seem all the more exposed.
Museo Cappella Sansevero
Via Francesco de Sanctis 19/21
+39 (0)81 551 8470